Many people purchase a stunning piece of jewellery and then are disappointed if it doesn’t stand the test of time. Taking care of jewellery is important in order to keep it looking its best and prevent any unnecessary damage or tarnishing.
Of course, the best quality jewellery is likely to last and look best over time, so before investing in an item, ensure it is of the highest standard possible.
Once you have the jewellery, here are our tips to maintain its sparkle:
- Store your jewellery in a lined pouch or box away from chemicals, sunlight and extreme temperatures. The lining should preferably be silk, and individual pieces should always be stored separately.
- Avoid any rough treatment. It is not advisable to wear your jewellery during any strenuous activities, such as exercise or gardening, where it may become damaged.
- Do not allow jewellery to come into contact with perfume, hairspray and nail polish removers, as they can all affect the appearance of metals. Always take your jewellery off before swimming, as the chlorine can have a similar effect.
- Invest in a professional jewellery cleaning product. Ensure that you read the instructions properly and apply the product as appropriate.
- Use a clean, soft chamois cloth to encourage and maintain shine.
For advice on any aspect of jewellery care, or for help picking out that special piece, visit Hatton Garden for a wealth of knowledge from a range of experienced jewellers.