Investing in antique jewellery will offer you the opportunity to appreciate and embrace the history and craftsmanship of the styles of previous eras, and provide a great addition to your accessory collection for years to come. However, regardless of the kind of jewellery you are looking to purchase, it is important to know what to look for before you invest. Here are some important things to know and do before you start looking for your perfect piece:
- Bear in mind that antique jewellery is commonly defined as any piece which is over 100 years old. Pieces from later eras are not antique – they are part of a separate category.
- Research styles of the time and decide whether you have an era of preference. This will narrow down your options and make it easier to choose.
- Make sure you have an awareness of the types of materials used in your chosen timeframe. Knowing that most early pieces were made of silver, for instance, can help you identify authentic items from a particular era. Don’t just focus on the metal – jewels, clasps, cuts and settings are just as important.
- Learn popular brands of the time, as Cartier, Boucheron and Arpels, to help you place pieces in a certain time frame, and confirm their quality.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Get as much information about the piece as you can before you buy, as this will simultaneously reassure you about its quality, and enable you to learn about its history.
Ultimately, antique jewellery is a timeless, classic investment which can be passed down through families and enjoyed by many generations to come.
Here in Hatton Garden, we have several suppliers of antique jewellery, with stunning ranges and excellent customer service to help you make the right choice.